Photografic stylization - old photos in our age.
European Development Agency (EUDA)
How can we connect history and present trough media of photography and handmade creation of props and costumes?
- To use different current ICT tools to foster better understanding old technology of movie and photography.
- To improve relations between our history and our life.
- To connect elements of different subjects (history, art fine) and ICT tools.
1 x 2 hrs + 1 x 4 hrs / 1 x 6 hrs
Software and apps to be used:
Smart phone with camera, Mobile app PhotoDirector, Dataprojector and computer,not nessesary - black and white or colorful printer.
The digital atelier is focuses on photographic stylization. The participants (students) were asked to select old black and white photos that they would imitate - according to which they would stylize themselfs into people in the photos and try to get closer to the overall visual composition of the pictures (with mandmade costumes and props). During the shooting they changed roles, a part of the time they were in a role of a model/actor and the other part in the role of a photographer. Students change photos by mobile app to black and white versions or use “old” photo effects. We will reflect stories on old photographs and compare them with our present.
- Using of ICT, new media and technology with handmade props and costumes.
- Development of creativity, imagination, visual literacy and sensitivity, critical thinking and communication skills.
- History, fine art and art education.
The activity leads to a deeper understanding of the history era of old black-white photograpy and strengthening intergenerational links – time of the lives of their parents and grandparents.
Preparation of space for the Atelier:
Students needs free space in the classroom and other places (for example: court or garden) for stylizations and photo shooting. Also tables and chairs are suitable for the production of small props.
ICT tools – smart phone with camera and app for changing of photos (PhotoDiretor). Papers, glues, scissors, pens, pencils and markers.
Main inspirations taken from personal research:
Topic is connected with history (interesting moments and peoples – for example: Salvador Dalí, The Beatles, Audrey Hepburn, Neil Armstrong...), evolution of photography and fine art.
Mass media and social media connections:
During DA students works with famous pictures of moments and persons from our history, which are knows from television or Internet, music and documentaries.
How do you plan to give voice to students to present or show their personal skills and knowledge?
Students presents their knowledge and personal skills during process by artistic activity – making own artefact (props and photographic stylizations) and final discussions and presenting their works and ideas.
How do you collect information as the starting point of a Digital Atelier?
Students will fill up several questionnaires during realization DA. And the teacher can compare students' knowledge based on an interview before and after the DA.
Introducing students to the key question - the research begings:
How can you express old photos that were make by classic old photographic technology by our contemporary way with your smart phone and app?
- Action that unfolds the practical activity to clarify the question: What do you know about person or moment on the old photo? Students choose one historical photo.They have to find information about person and situation on the photo by the Internet in their phone (by Google and Wikipedia). They fill up short questionnaire about chosen photo.
- Active work of the students: Students preparing needed props and costumes by them self. They have to choose right place to take the photography.
- Presentation of findings and results (visualisation of information): The final results are presented by projector on the wall in the classroom or atelier.
Project/design phase - part 1
- Second action that unfolds the practical activity: 1) How can we express and imitate old photo? During this phase students create props and arrange a place for photography. Students are in the role of a model and take photograph each other. They take photos. 2) How can you edit your photo by your smart phones and mobile apps? During this phase students works with smart phones and edit photos by photographic applications. For example – they can use black and white filter and other effects and editing.
- Active work of the students: Creating of props and costumes: drawing, cutting, gluing, arranging and so on.
- Presentation of findings and results (visualisation of information): Photos on a mobile phone. Students sent photos to teacher by email. Teacher creates a collection of all photos (photographic stylizations of students) and into a folder on computer.
Project/design phase - part 2
- Third action that unfolds the practical activity: How do you introduce your own photographic stylization to other students and to the teacher?
- Active work of the students: Students will presenting comparison of the original old photography and their new photographic stylization Students will verbally describe both photos - speak about facts of originals photo (about person and story) and their own creation process.
- Presentation of findings and results (visualisation of information): Presentation by computer and projector on the wall in the classroom or atelier.
Approach to a new software or a new app:
Students can use the mobile app for easy editing of photos name PhotoDirector or another similar app for editing pictures. It opens an important topic of manipulation with reality - for example in advertising and news.
Links between the Digital Atelier and real life of the students:
Students have visual contact with manipulated photos every day. DA develops useful skills of students: to know technological developments in photography and the possibility of simultaneous manipulation of images around us.
How do you plan to evaluate knowledge and skills?
We can evaluate it by using a special questionnaire several times during DA. Another way is to hold a discussion with students continuously with the largest final discussion at the end. Students will present of their works and ideas. They will do confrontation of original historical photos with their own photo stylizations (interpretations). They will speak also about process and results.
Realization of DA has been very successful. We have reached all the main goals and students evaluated all activity of DA very positively.
The publication was created as part of the project: APP YOUR SCHOOL.
This publication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.